Tuesday, July 19, 2011

DC Brau!

DC Brau is the first production brewery in DC since Olde Heurich closed in 1956


DC Brau had an open house Saturday, July 16th, from 1 to 4 pm. After a thirst-inducing class at Patriot University (What the Heck is Hoka Hey?), I drove up to the brewery on Bladensburg Road NE to get samples, take a tour, and buy some beer for myself, my neighbors in VA, and some friends from out of state.  


Logo on the door
Since opening in April of this year, the new brewery has been unable to keep pace with demand. I've been on a wait list at Schneider's of Capitol Hill since late May to no avail--there just is not enough beer coming off the canning line to replenish the shelf space in package stores in DC, let alone VA. The only way to score DC Brau is to catch it on tap, or trek to the source and snatch some cans. 

Samples and growler fills

I sampled both The Public Pale and The Corruption IPA. Both were mighty tasty. I prefer the piney and citrusy IPA. What they had available in cans was the Public Pale, so that's what I got to go. Talk about fresh: the beer in the cans I bought was just brewed on Monday, July 11th!


Schwag


They have some cool merchandise available, too: stickers, t-shirts, and screw-top growlers. They cannot fill flip top growlers just yet. There is a law on the books in DC that requires packages to be sealed. So they shrink wrap the growler lid for you, and at the moment they do not have plastic shields large enough to accommodate flip-top growlers. A fix is on the way.



CEO Brandon Skall was an excellent host to the thirsty throngs that lined up to slake their curiosity--and their parched throats! He gives a great tour and is fun to talk to. His passion for beer culture and DC is evident. He also introduced Jeff, the brewmaster, and Chris, their first new hire.


Pristine--and room to grow.


The crew at DC Brau is not only brewing great local beer. They are also influencing the local beer scene by championing new laws. DC Brau successfully petitioned for the right to offer samples at the brewery--which previously was illegal. 


Kegs awaiting the planned 1st anniversary brew

They also brew The Citizen, a Belgian Pale. I wonder if they will have any on offer in kegs around town for Belgian National Day 21 July 2011? I want to find me some!


Cans waiting to be filled

I can hardly wait for their fourth beer to come out. The Penn Quarter Porter, which sounds delicious, went into the fermenters on 19 July.  





But the most exciting thing is that DC Brau has more fermenters coming in, which will allow them to increase throughput by 30%--and maybe get ahead of the demand curve in DC long enough to stock a shelf or two in VA.


Brandon describes the canning line


It's an easy drive up to Bladensburg Road NE, and I am sure I'll find my way back up to DC Brau again soon. Like the minute the PQP is available! 






1 comment:

  1. Dave,

    I'm glad you had such fun on the tour. Please come back soon!

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete