Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Lammas--Celebrate the Gift of Grain!

Today, August 1st, is Lammas, the ancient mid-quarter holiday marking the beginning of the harvest season. I believe that proponents of formal religions have worked hard to downplay informal expressions of worship over time. I am not arguing for idolatry, Paganism, or wicca in these lines.  That said, I feel that certain rituals have tremendous power. It's hardwired in our DNA to show respect for the mysteries of Nature and Time.

One such ritual is the idea of baking bread to honor of the Goddess of Grain.

Honoring the Grain God or Goddess

Bake a loaf of bread on Lammas. If you've never made bread before, this is a good time to start. Honor the source of the flour as you work with it: remember it was once a plant growing on the mother Earth. If you have a garden, add something you've harvested--herbs or onion or corn--to your bread. If you don't feel up to making wheat bread, make corn bread. Or gingerbread people. Or popcorn. What's most important is intention. All that is necessary to enter sacred time is an awareness of the meaning of your actions. 
For more about Celebrating Lammas, please see this School of the Seasons link: http://bit.ly/qX2Nc6  
Speaking of bread, last year at about this time I blogged about my chocolate zucchini bread. This was my first effort at baking bread and I was delighted to share the results--although my offering was a bit heavy for a poolside party! Ha!

I can think of another way to honor Ceres, the Roman Goddess of Grain, besides eating cereal or baking bread on a hot summer day. Tonight I may just pay special tribute to Ninkasi, the Sumerian Goddess of Brewing and Beer. She also had a healthy respect for the gift of grain.


Ninkasi


Happy Lammas! Cheers!



1 comment: