Saturday, August 27, 2011

What are your 9/11 plans?



Do you have plans for the 10th anniversary of 9/11? Here is what I have on the agenda.

We have a memorial on the E-ring side of 4th corridor for our 29 co-workers who were killed on 9/11 (29 of 125 in the Pentagon were from our office). On Friday, Sept 9th, we are hosting a luncheon for the families of our victims, and then we'll all meet at our memorial for a remembrance service. We've done this every year and it's powerful.

After that, I'll walk upstairs to the 3rd floor conference room where I was when the plane hit. Fortunately, the floor held until after those of us in that conference room were safely out. I am grateful that the plane hit the reinforced part of the Pentagon, or the damage and loss would have been many times more severe.

Next I will move down to the first floor 9/11 Memorial Chapel for some solitude. I love the stained glass windows there, and the Vietnam Memorial-like wall of engraved names. 

After that I will walk to the outdoor Pentagon 9/11 Memorial where there is a bench for each of the 184 who died (including the 59 on American 77). 

Next I'll take Metro's Blue Line train over to Arlington National Cemetery to visit General Maude and several others buried there.

On Saturday, Sept 10th, there's a 5K run fundraiser for Fisher House, a charity that provides housing for families of wounded warriors during their rehabilitation. 

Sunday 9/11/2011 there is the non-denominational Unity Walk down Embassy row. Later that night I also have a little ritual I perform with candles and flower petals at the waterfront. I light three candles (red, white, and blue) and toss petals into the water as I read off the 29 names. Then I recite a poem of remembrance. This is something I first did with my children and I repeat it every year. It's a source of comfort and hope.

The following week, I am riding up to NYC to see the new 9/11 Memorial there. I joined America's 9/11 Foundation too late to ride with the 2000 or so that came through Shanksville and DC en route to NYC last week. 

Other options and suggestions are found in these links:



Lots of worthy activities.

What are YOUR plans for 9/11?

2 comments:

  1. You have a unique perspective.
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join the global group hug to increase love and dispel fear on 9/11. The time is 10 years and 10 hours after the first plane hit the first WTC tower, that is 10:46 pm GMT. More information at ONE The Event.

    ReplyDelete