Saturday, November 26, 2011

The bright side of a flat tire



In the middle of a 3000 mile ride, I pulled into a truck stop to escape the rain with a cup of coffee and realized I had a flat rear tire. Getting a flat in unfamiliar territory and in bad weather could have been a disaster. A fellow at the truck stop sent me to Howell's.

I am not sure how I got a flat but I am so glad that it happened at low speed and near Howell's Cycle shop. I really lucked out.

Eric Howell was willing to open his shop for me on the holiday weekend. I couldn't have asked for better service. In fact, I half expected to get the Yankee Special: pay some inflated prices on the tire and labor, been forced to sit for hours in a waiting area, and been treated like a fool for being out in a hurricane in the first place. Already wet from the storm, I was afraid I was about to get soaked.

Instead, in Mr. Howell's care, I got a fair price on a tire, a great price on the value of his time and expertise, a front-row seat in the shop where he treated me like family: showed me the tire-changing process; explained the ceramic balancing beads; and told me stories about riding with his Dad. It was like Saturday morning with an old friend.

If I had to have a flat at all, I couldn't have dreamed up a faster, more friendly, and more fair deal. Personally, I think everyone should have a flat tire near Howell's Cycle shop, just so they can meet the owner!

Thank you, Eric!

Howell's Cycle
8142 FM 16
Van, Texas
USA 75790
903-963-8953


Check out their website: Howell's Cycle Online

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

2 comments:

  1. Dave,

    First of all I am glad you had a safe trip home, and thanks for letting me know. Like my website reads my customers are my friends from the new ones to the old ones.

    I am glad I was home to be able to be of service to you, thanks for all kinds words and feedback!
    If I can ever be of service again just let me know.

    Happy Holidays to You and Yours!

    Eric Howell

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called southern hospitality or if you are in the Midwest, it's called "that's just what you do".

    ReplyDelete