Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lessons Learned While Challenging the Iron Butt Association Qualifications

I made three attempts at Iron Butt Association qualification and came up empty. I did pick up some tips worth sharing, however. I also made some incredible memories. In this post I will lay out some lessons learned for riders and a few other tidbits for the curious.

Stuff to Start (+), Stop (-), or Sustain (0)

  • (+) I will get a throttle boss. After 3000 miles in the saddle, the only part of me that's sore is my throttle wrist.
  • (+) I will go ahead and install the accessory fuse rather than plugging my phone or vest directly into the battery.
  • (+) A center stand will make it easier to check tire pressure
  • (-) I packed too many clothes. What was I thinking!?
  • (-) I didn't pack enough snacks like almond trail mix and protein bars.
  • (-) I drank too much coffee and not enough water
  • (0) I reviewed the IBA tip sheet, which was invaluable
  • (0) I brought lots of plastic bags of various sizes to keep things together and mostly dry.
  • (0) I reviewed the route and marked off 250 mile increments. By breaking the 1000 miles into 4 such increments of 5 hours each, I figured I would cover the ground with 4 hours to spare.


Recap of the attempts

  • Set out to Greer's Ferry, Arkansas, 1010 miles from my door, with the idea of arriving within 24 hours and earning the Saddle Sore award. Arrived 4 hours late owning to strong rains. Went on to Dallas and regrouped.
  • I realized I could still get the 1000 mile Saddle Sore in conjunction with the 1500 mile Bun Burner if I had a witness at the 1000 mile point on the return trip. The weather was clear and mild the entire time I was in Dallas. I rested and relaxed for the holiday and got all my gear dried out and repacked.  
  • Set out for home from Dallas along a 1550 mile route in light rain. The rains got heavier as I moved east. Then I got a flat tire near the small town of Van, TX. After 18 hours on the road, I only made it as far as Jackson, MS: A mere 400 miles from Dallas. I had consumed half the time and only about a fourth of the distance. 
  • I realized the Bun Burner 1500 was not going to happen, however, I stilll had over 1000 miles to go. So I decided to restart the IBA / SS for the third time
  • Hard rains continued all the way to Atlanta, forcing frequent stops. The weather broke at Atlanta, and I made the 400 miles from Atlanta to Raleigh faster than the 800 miles from Dallas to Atlanta.
  • I rested in Raleigh and rode home the next day: 2994 miles and 10 states later.

Words of wisdom and encouragement

  • As my cousin said, November is a rough month to ride, unless you're in Arizona.
  • As my brother said, I may not have an Iron Butt (yet), but I have an Iron Will and my motorcycle and I are up to the challenge. Not if, but when!
  • My neighbor Steve was encouraging me, and I do feel that the only reason I did not get the award was weather.
  • I actually feel very good about having toughed out the course in horrible weather. When it was clear and dry, I was able to cruise easily. I was able to deal with hours upon hours of slow-going in the cold and wet conditions. There is no IBA award for it, but I take it as a point of pride.
  • Army: "If it ain't raining, it ain't training!"
  • Man at a Waffle House in Tennessee: "We don't get too many all-weather riders around these parts." Translation: "Son, you are either a Yankee or an idiot, or possibly both." 


Pictures I would have taken, had I brought a waterproof camera:

  • Business marquee says, "Harps: Employee Owned." Sign in front says, "For Sale By Owner." Irony.
  • Sign on the off ramp: Welcome to Mississippi. Sign on the Visitor's Center door: Closed. The Mississippi (Un)welcome Center?
  • "Welcome to Alabama!" I wish I had a photo of CERUS and me in front of that sign at midnight, illuminated by a flash of lightning which highlights the horizontal rain and the tidal wave splash from a passing Freightliner.  
  • Howell's Cycles of Van, TX. Eric Howell is a fine man and a great mechanic.




2 comments:

  1. Dave,

    Would you consider writing an article for the Iron Butt Magazine about this experience? We are always looking for interesting pieces, even unsuccessful SadleSore and BunBurner attempts. Writers guidelines can be found here: www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine

    Please contact me at steve@ironbutt.com if you are interested.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Thanks

    Steve Hobart
    Managing Editor/Director of Photography
    Iron Butt Magazine
    www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very knowledgeable and inspiring article, and we are satisfied with information that you shared. For more you get Affordable Drywall and Paint Services Chicago IL to renovate your home for live a better life that you inspired by. Our team knows the understand your valuable time.

    ReplyDelete