Monday, July 30, 2012

Coffee Break


Coffee time. When I asked for a cup of coffee, I misspoke. What I meant? A gallon of coffee, one cup at a time.

I had a great ride yesterday, taking the twisty route through West Virginia. I asked one gas station attendant why there was no cell coverage. Apparently, we (US Gov't) have a testing facility of some sort out in the mountains, and cell service is banned. Who knew?

Here's another story that could only happen in WV. The sign said: Freeway Ends in One Mile. First of all, what had been a scenic byway in Virginia turned into a 4-lane divided highway when I crossed the border.  Not what I expected, but I was making good time heading west.

I assumed the road would narrow down to 2 lanes in a mile, but the sign was more literal. The freeway actually came to an end. The road stopped in a T. I kid you not. There was no traffic on this freeway to nowhere, so I had time to make a considered decision: left, or right?

I sat for a moment pondering my options. I looked at the sky. I would go out of my way to avoid a nasty storm, but the sky offered no decisive clues. 

Just then a little breeze blew from the north, and my whiskers responded to the cosmic message by pointing south.

And that, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, is why bikers have facial hair.

More in a few miles.

5 comments:

  1. ‎'Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.'

    Oliver Wendell Holmes

    And you Dave...sailing via facial hair. (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Good one, Q of T! I like to feel the wind in my hair but I also prefer wearing a helmet, so I needed to grow facial hair to get the effect. Fortunately, the swoosh of my beard was sufficient for navigating over land. I understand that the Polynesian Wayfinders relied on even more intimate means for navigating the Pacific Ocean, taking the idea of "feeling the wind in one's hair" to a new--and slightly lower--level...

      (http://www.passengerplanet.com/softwarm.html).

      Delete
  2. Sounds similar to a recent experience on our move from CA to PA. We were following the directions provided by the GPS unit around Bend, OR when we came upon a sign that quite simply said, "Pavement Ends." And it did indeed. The road didn't, though; it continued straight on as a hard packed dirt and gravel path. This was particularly humorous because we were traveling in our 38 ft. motor home at the time, towing a car, and the GPS was in "Truck Mode." After brief consideration, we continued onward and soon found ourselves back on asphalt and continued our journey, headed East on US-20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photo of previously mentioned road available at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4209806213101&set=a.2128829269978.124604.1523354029&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Glad it worked out, but I am sure there were some tense moments. It's not like you could just turn around!

      Delete