Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Andy Williams




Andy Williams
Legendary Entertainer
1927-2012

According to the old cliche, "If you can remember the 1960s, you weren't there." To which I say, either that, or you were too young to get the full effect! 

My parents were teens when Andy Williams and Elvis Presley both had their first big hits in the mid-50s.  If children are to believe everything their parents tell them, my folks preferred Andy's wholesome, middle-America style to Elvis' gyrations. 

This much is true: as a lad in the 60s I remember hearing and enjoying these songs at home: 
  •  Moon River (great tune, and Andy's signature number)
  • Born Free (watched this movie with my parents and loved the movie and the song)
  • The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (perennial favorite from his beloved Christmas TV specials)
  • Where Do I Begin (the theme to Love Story) (OK, I am secure enough in my manhood to publish this--I read Love Story as a kid, and I feel this song is Andy's masterpiece)
I can also remember a cherished 8.5 x 11 program with Andy's portrait on the cover. This program was brought out and displayed every year at Christmas time.
 
The 84-year-old entertainer died at his Branson home following a yearlong battle with bladder cancer. He continued to perform into his 80s.His legacy includes the Moon River Theater in Branson, MO, a book by the same name, thousands of recordings, and millions of fans.

Rest In Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment