Sunday, September 2, 2012

Live? Die? Kill?


Karen Michel Reports on Three Questions

I just listened and responded to a provocative radio program, part of a series of programs called Questioning Democracy. I thought I'd share the program with you and encourage you to consider responding to the questions.  I know they made me think hard about what really, really matters and what it means to live in a democracy.

The set-up:

When independent radio producer Karen Michel moved from her apartment in Brooklyn out to the country – near the Hudson River. Karen wanted to know what her new neighbors really cared about. What, for them, it truly meant to live in a democracy where freedom is taken for granted.



The questions:


What do you live for? What would you die for? What would you kill for?





More information:

Follow this link to listen to the broadcast, download the program, obtain a transcript, and provide your own answers if you are so moved.




My off-air response:

1. I live for the pursuit of health, happiness and prosperity for all. I live to experience and create new opportunities. I live to live fully.
2. Having served in the Army I have considered what I would die for and it's not flag or country, though those are important to me. I do not want to die, but I would risk death to protect my children, or my battle buddy.
3. The big difference between killing and murder is the motive. I will use any means necessary to stop any threat to the lives of my children, my teammates, or myself. I support the death penalty, but for justice, not vengeance. I support hunting animals for food but deplore killing for sport. Bottom line: I would kill to survive.



And you? Have you thought about your answers to these questions? If so, please leave a note in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment