Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tab Benoit at the Birchmere

Thursday, March 6th, 2014
Live and in person, for one night only
Appearing at the legendary Birchmere music hall in historic Alexandria
with Tommy Malone of "The subdudes" fame
it's 
Tab Benoit!

Set list scrawled on the Table 417 placard
This concert made the 3d time I have seen Tab Benoit in person. I am grateful to my friend Louis C. Kittrell, aka Louis CK, aka Blue Lou, aka bluesandbarbq who first introduced me to Tab Benoit. 'Tis a good thing you have done, Mr. Kittrell, sir. A good thing, indeed. Lou encouraged me to see Tab when he appeared at the Hamilton downtown. I then caught him at the Blues Fest in Denver. And this third time was the charm! Why? Well, the tickets were a Val-Day present for my girlfriend, and we attended this Cajun's concert just after Mardis Gras in a great venue.

The set list above is presented below as written, with my best guess as to each song's title. This link http://www.oldies.com/artist-songs/Tab-Benoit.html has a good list of Tab's song titles. Perhaps I will eventually learn the repertoire well enough that I do not need to look the titles up. 

 Why people like that?
One foot in the bayou
Dirty dishes
Whisky bayou
Underneath your wing
New Orleans ladies
Hot tamale baby
3-song solo set:
1) Bucket got a hole
2) Honky tonk angel
3) Hay Stackolina
Last song: Night train 
(requested by Chief from Clifton who was attending his 40th Tab concert)
Encore: Medicine

My pics are not bad for a camera phone....

Why people like that?

One foot in the bayou

Dirty laundry? This ain't no Don Henley show! Dirty dishes

Let's go fishin' in Whisky Bayou

Cory be jammin with a hot tamale


Solo set: Tab channeling George Jones

Night Train


Tab and crew ended the set with Night Train, a song they dedicated to a fan named Chief from Clifton. It was Chief's birthday, and he said this night was his 40th time seeing Tab in concert.


After the rendition of Night Train, the audience clamored for more. Tab and the band came back for an encore and lots of us were calling for Darkness. Tab's reply? He was done with the part of the show we had paid for, so he could play what he wanted. We were on his time now! So he ripped in to Medicine, and it did not disappoint! 
Bring me my medicine, babe!

In case you missed hearing Darkness as much as I did, here's a little clip for us all to enjoy--until the next time Tab comes to a music venue near YOU! 


No comments:

Post a Comment